How Heart Angels came about
If someone suffers a cardiac arrest, every second counts. Would you know what to do? This website has been created by someone who was confronted with exactly this problem:
My name is David Sullivan. I’m 53 and I live in Surrey.
In December last year, I had arranged to play golf with eight members of my immediate family. We had decided at the last minute to move the venue to Hever in Kent, as I was offered the chance to play for my 17-year-old son’s football team – an opportunity I did not want to miss.
I was a bit sore from playing football and was tempted not to show up but the family egged me on so I decided to go along regardless.
When we arrived, there was a hard frost and it was very foggy. The visibility was very poor, but off we went.
We had just reached the 3rd hole when we heard a scream of “Help!” from over a hill about 60m away.
We ran over and as I got to the top, I saw a man lying motionless on the green. His playing partner was in deep shock.
The stationery man had bled profusely from his nose, and his eyes were still. I felt for a pulse and listened for a breath but could find neither. In short, he was flat-lining.
I had only renewed my First Aid course 5 weeks previously, with the Westerham Cycling club. Luckily it had covered what to do next.
I rolled him into the recovery position and cleared his mouth and opened his airways. I rolled him onto his back and started CPR.
Calls were made to emergency services and we were told that luckily, the clubhouse had a defibrillator and it was on its way.
The man’s playing partner told us his name was Martin and he was a father.
We tried to bring Martin round by calling his name and begging him to fight and to think of his children.
The people around me were brilliant and I continued to pump Martin’s chest for 17 mins.
We were way out on the golf course and it was too foggy for the air ambulance helicopter to land. The ambulances were taking a long time to get to us by road.
Then, Peter, the professional arrived with the defibrillator; we cleared Martin a gave him the shock he needed – what a brilliant piece of kit!
The police, ambulance and special heart unit arrived and took over. They stayed with Martin for over an hour before they drove off.
I could only expect the worst for Martin. I thought he was dead when I got to him and with all the blood, I thought he had had a brain haemorrhage.
Hever Golf Club was absolutely brilliant and said we had all tried our best. They gave us some tea and tried to reassure us.
I didn’t sleep that night, it really got to me.
On Thursday morning, I received a call: “Is that David Sullivan? …It’s Martin’s brother here. Thank you for your efforts.”
There was a pause, I was expecting the worst… “I’d just like to tell you that Martin is sitting up in bed and talking…!”
“He has had a heart operation. Luckily, there was no brain damage and he is now recovering in intensive care.”
Since then, Martin has returned home to his family and is back playing golf.
Although Martin had a narrow escape, I have had several friends my age and younger die of cardiac arrests and strokes.
I am so fed up with my close friends dying of heart disease, I have now started a company called Heart Help.
I am going to try to make sure that every school, club, and business is aware of the dangers and to help train their staff in CPR and how to prevent people from choking.
- A guide showing everyone to be cool and confident in life-threating situations and to be able to operate a defibrillator to save a life.
- A large healthcare supplies company are helping with our ground-breaking ideas by providing equipment at cost.
- This will aid The NHS at a time when it needs every bit of help it can get. It may also save other people from the tragic loss of a family member or friend.
Call David on +44 7900 087 701, or send an email using the contact form below.